Monday, February 04, 2013
15 tips for landing - and acing - a job interview - CSO Online - Security and Risk
'via Blog this'
This is my latest contribution to csoonline.com and the February print edition of CSO Magazine. I hope you find it useful if you're in interview mode now or in the future.
Topics of this article include:
1. Write a great resume to open the door
2. Keep phone interview brief
3. Wow them face-to-face
4. Listen carefully
5. Maintain personal integrity
6. Know yourself
7. Rehearse selected interview topics
8. Articulate how you can contribute
9. Research corporate and risk culture
10. Use LinkedIn for research appropriately
11. Prepare business and technical questions
12. Interview the interviewer
13. Don't put the interviewer on the spot
14. Stay sharp from beginning to end
15. Follow up after the interview
Whether you are interviewing with one of my clients or you have an interview you've captured on your own, the Security Job Coaching services from SecruityRecruiter.com will help to prepare you for your next interview opportunity with skills you very likely didn't learn in college. I know I didn't learn these skills in college!
Jeff Snyder, 719.686.8810
Jeff Snyder's SecurityRecruiter.com Security Recruiter Blog
President of SecurityRecruiter.com and JeffSnyderCoaching.com. SecurityRecruiter.com is an executive search firm specialized in information security recruiting, cyber security recruiting, corporate security recruiting, physical security recruiting, converged security recruiting, IT risk management recruiting, enterprise risk management, global compliance recruiting, global privacy recruiting and business intelligence recruiting.
Through JeffSnyderCoaching.com, I provide Resume Writing, LinkedIn Profile Optimization, Personal Branding, Personal Marketing, Strengths Coaching, Emotional Intelligence Coaching, Career Coaching, Leadership Coaching, Executive Coaching, Coaching for Entrepreneurs and aspiring Entrepreneurs, Career Transition Coaching and more.
My clients include Fortune 500 clients crossing many different different industry boundaries including but not limited to Banking, Financial Services, Hospitality, Gaming, Insurance, eCommerce, Oil & Gas, Retail, Entertainment, Media, Software, Consumer Products, Hospitality, Mining, Security Consulting, Telecommunications and more.
My Security Recruiter Blog is home to information that security, risk, compliance, governance and privacy professionals need to grow their security careers and is updated weekly.
My recent public speaking activities include:
- CISO Forum and ISSA of Los Angeles
- CSO Roundtable for ASIS
- North Texas ISACA in Dallas, TX
- Information Security Leadership Forum, Dallas, TX
- ISSA in Denver, CO
- National CISO Forum of ISSA in Las Vegas
- ISSA in Colorado Springs
- EVANTA in Phoenix
- A private training session to train computer sales people in Denver to leverage LinkedIn to drive their sales business opportunities.
- I speak on leadership, career and overcoming adversity topics.
Testimonials of my recruiting work are found on the Security Recruiting Testimonials page of SecurityRecruiter.com. Testimonials for my coaching work are found on the Coaching Testimonials page of JeffSnyderCoaching.com.
I have a rather large and growing LinkedIn network with nearly 30,000 direct connections.