CYBER SECURITY NEWS
OF THE WEEK
FROM OUR FRIENDS AT CITADEL INFORMATION GROUP
Cyber Defense Tip of the Week
- Verify changes in vendor payment location and confirm requests for transfer of funds.
- Know the habits of your customers, including the reason, detail, and amount of payments. Beware of any significant changes.
- Regarding wire transfer payments, be suspicious of requests for secrecy or pressure to take action quickly.
- Consider financial security procedures that include a two-step verification process for wire transfer payments.
- Create spam and intrusion detection system rules that flag e-mails with extensions that are similar to company e-mail but not exactly the same. For example, .co instead of .com.
- If possible, register all Internet domains that are slightly different than the actual company domain.
- Be wary of using free, web-based e-mail accounts, which are more susceptible to being hacked.
- Be careful when posting financial and personnel information to social media and company websites.